There are numerous reasons or circumstances for conducting a background check. Whether you are recruiting for your business, employing someone in your home, embarking on a new relationship, checking out a new neighbor or renting to a new tenant – you have a right to peace of mind!
SO WHO OR WHAT DO YOU WANT TO KNOW MORE ABOUT?
A NEW EMPLOYEE
As a corporate or small business owner you want to know;
- Is the applicant suitable for your company?
- Is the information on their C.V. accurate and honest?
- Do the stated qualifications and previous employment history details check out?
- Do they have a criminal record?
- If the role involves banking or financial accounts, do they have a clean credit history?
Getting the right people on board will determine the success of your business – take no chances!
A CARER FOR YOUR CHILD OR RELATIVE
As a parent or guardian of an elderly or sick family member, you want to be sure the person you appoint as their carer is qualified , responsible and exactly who they say they are – so;
- Is their name, address and telephone number correct?
- Are their references genuine and do their credentials check out?
- Do they have a criminal record or are they listed on a sex offenders register?
- Is the source of recruitment a reputable one?
It is also worth considering a background check on any teacher, scoutmaster, sports coach or indeed anyone in a trusted position that has contact with your child or loved one – you can never be too careful!
A NEW NEIGHBOR
Before welcoming them into your home and making friends with them;
- Are they trustworthy to have around your family?
- Would you ask them to baby sit or child mind for you?
- Would you give them a set of house keys to your home while you are away on vacation?
Remember the golden rule – if in doubt check them out!
A NEW RELATIONSHIP
Are you considering an online date with a stranger, a blind date arranged by friends or starting out on a new relationship? Whichever, you will be wise to find out about them beforehand;
- Do you know their name and address?
- Is he or she married?
- Do they have any children?
- Do they have a criminal record or appear on an offenders register?
- Is it important to know his or her financial status?
Whether your date is arranged online or through a dating agency, you should always check out a stranger – better to be safe than sorry!
A NEW TENANT
Before renting out a residential or commercial property or considering taking in a room mate to share your accommodation – always vet their credentials;
- Have you seen proof of their identity and verified that their name, previous address and contact telephone number is correct?
- Is he or she in regular employment and do you have the details of their employer and social security number? If in any doubt about their means to pay the rent you might want to conduct a credit check report.
- Do they have authentic character references, preferably from a previous landlord or employer or is it worth running a background and criminal record check?
A thorough background check can be most helpful in allowing you to make an informed decision on the suitability of a prospective tenant and to safeguard yourself and your property!
CAN YOU CONDUCT A BACKGROUND CHECK FOR FREE?
Depending on the level of information you require there are many web sites on the internet that will provide free information about an individual and their background.
If you just need to check out the basic details you already have on someone you can Google search them or simply look on the more popular social networking sites such as Facebook, Twitter, MySpace or Linkedin – but do bear in mind that the information can be inaccurate or out of date.
For checking and verifying a name, address and telephone number ,the online Telephone Directory Services are a free and reasonably reliable source providing that the person is listed .A reverse phone number lookup will also tell you who the number is registered to but there is usually a charge for this.
However, if you want a more in depth free background check on a prospective employee or tenant, a child minder or adult carer, a new neighbor or an online date – the best source of information is the Public Records Office.
Every state and most counties have a government public records department and here you will be able to find a variety of information relating to your search such as dates of birth, marriage / divorce status, real and personal property ownership and also criminal and court records .The level of information accessible to you may vary between each county and state but it’s worth spending the time on if you get the result you are looking for!
In conclusion, if the search sites suggested fail to provide the information you require then you will need to consider using an online business or agency that specialises in background checks, as they are able to access more private and confidential details that are not freely available in the public domain. Once again there are numerous site options to choose from and all of them will charge a fee, so select carefully and make sure it’s the right one for you and your budget!